Climate change: what can we do about it?
In my previous blog posts, I have spoken about what climate change is and talked about some common arguments against it. Another question commonly asked is: what can we do about it? What can I, one single person, do about something so big? Climate change is happening… but there are many things that we, as individuals, can do to help lessen and even reverse the effects.
The most obvious change we can make in our own homes is to start using renewable energy. Needless to say, installing solar panels can be expensive, but there is a lot of other things you can do around the house to help. So, here are 10 things you can do yourself to help lessen the effects of climate change.
- Using compact fluorescent light bulbs. These light bulbs use 60% less energy than a regular light bulb. They can potentially save about 130kg of carbon each year.
- Regularly clean filters on heaters and air conditioners. This can save 150kg of carbon each year.
- Don’t leave appliances on standby. Turn off the appliance completely or turn off the power point directly. Try to use these appliances as little as possible. When buying new appliances, try to invest in energy efficient appliances. Most of these will have an EnergyStar logo.
- Don’t let heat escape from your house over a long period of time.
- Only use washing machine or dishwasher when they are full to save water and energy.
- Use less hot water. It takes a lot of energy to heat water. You can do this by installing a low flowing showerhead and washing clothes in cold water.
- Whenever possible, hang clothes out to dry instead of using your dryer.
- You can reduce your own waste by choosing reusable products. You can reuse shopping bags or invest in a reusable drink bottle. Be sure to recycle anything that can be recycled, such as paper, plastic, glass and aluminum cans.
- Plant a tree. If you have the means to do this, it is a really good idea. During photosynthesis trees absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen. A single tree will absorb approximately one ton of carbon dioxide during its lifetime.
- Lastly, act now. We have the power to prevent global warming. If it’s not possible for you to take drastic action or you’re only just coming to learn about it, there are so many smalls things you can do that will make a big difference. Encourage others to conserve as well.
There you have it. 10 things you can do to do your part to help stop the bad effects of climate change.
West 2015, Top 10 Things You Can Do to Reduce Global Warming, About News, retrieved 30 April 2016, <http://environment.about.com/od/globalwarming/tp/globalwarmtips.htm>
Denchak 2016, How You Can Stop Global Warming, Natural Resources Defense Council, retrieved 30 April 2016, <https://www.nrdc.org/stories/how-you-can-stop-global-warming>
Top 50 Things to Do to Stop Global Warming, Global Warming Facts, retrieved 30 April 2016, <http://globalwarming-facts.info/50-tips/2/?singlepage=1>
“Ziggy” 2008, 5 Ways to Prevent Global Warming That Big Media Won’t Tell You, Planet Save, retrieved 30 April 2016, <http://planetsave.com/2008/11/28/five-ways-to-prevent-global-warming-that-big-media-wont-tell-you/>